The College of Development Communication (CDC), through the CDC Alumni Relations Committee (ARC), held an oath taking ceremony for the newly-elected members of the Board of Trustees (BOT) of the CDC Alumni Association for 2022-2025 on 19 December 2022.
This was part of CDC’s 24th anniversary celebration and was held after the awarding ceremony of CDC’s outstanding personnel for 2022.
Led by their president, Dr. Benjamina Paula Gonzales-Flor, the new BOT members were sworn in by Dean Maria Stella C. Tirol.
Dr. Flor is a member of BSDC Class of 1980, MSDC Class of 1989, and PhD DC Class of 1997. She is also a Professor at the Department of Development Broadcasting and Telecommunication (DDBT) and Chair of the Master of Development Communication Program at the UP Open University.
In her speech, she, laid out the four-point agenda of the BOT, which are as follows:
- SHARE, which stands for Serve, Help, and Ready to Engage, is a platform for alumni to talk about their Devcom journeys to inspire CDC students. This will enable CDC to also craft a documentation of their practice, which can be used in beefing up the Devcom curriculum, updating the needs of employers, and serving as a feedback mechanism for the continuous growth of Devcom as a discipline. Alumni may also serve as guest lecturers in classes or symposia done regularly in collaboration with student organizations and the CDC management.
- CDComplishments is a platform that showcases the achievements of each batch of Devcom graduates. Achievements will be posted online and will be tallied. Each post is equivalent to 1 point. CDC will recognize monthly winners. The number 1 batch with the highest score will present their achievements during Speaking of Devcom (SOD) alongside distinguished alumni.
- CDComing together night is a fellowship event that will follow the SOD.
- CDevCommerch is a fund-raising scheme that involves putting up memorabilia items for sale to fund the Nora C. Quebral Scholarship Fund (NCQSF).
Other members of the BOT include the following:
- Dr. Elaine Llarena (Vice President), member of BSDC Class of 1999 and current chair of the Department of Science Communication.
- Ms. Maria Recelyn Agdon-Marasigan (Secretary), member of BSDC Class of 1999 School Directress of A Plus International School Inc. in Muntinlupa City.
- Ms. Ma. Aileen Alcos-Garcia (Treasurer), member of BSDC Class of 1998, Senior Manager for Project Coordination & Stakeholder Advocacy of the Healthier Rice Project of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), and Assistant Secretary of the Philippine Agricultural Journalists, Inc.
- Mr. Renan Morales (Auditor), member of BSDC Class of 2004 and Head of Business Services and Chief of Staff of the Client Operations at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).
- Mr. Paoloregel B. Samonte (Public Relations Officer), member of BSDC Class of 2015 and student of Master in Digital Communication Leadership at Wageningen University and Research in the Netherlands.
- Ex-officio members: Asst. Prof. Romel A. Daya (immediate past CDCAA President), Dr. Liza A Cabrera (College Secretary), and Dean Tirol.
Hosting the event were Asst. Prof. Lynette B. Carpio-Serrano (Co-Chair, ARC) and Asst. Prof. Rovil A. Espiritu. (Miguel Victor Durian)